Bhai Dooj falls on 1st November, 2016 and it also marks the end of the 5 day Diwali celebration. It is celebrated with a lot of happiness and enthusiasm. It is celebrated by Hindus and is similar to Raksha Bandhan where sister applies Red tilak to her brother and pray for his long life and happiness. On the other hand, brother promises to take care of their sisters. This auspicious day falls in the month of Kartika according to the Hindu calendar. It is also known as “Bhaiya Dooj”, “Bhai Phota”, “Bhai Tika”, “Bhaubeej” or “Bhau Bij”.
It is believed that this day is celebrated when the Lord Krishna visited his sister Subhadra after killing Narkasur demon. Krishna’s sister welcomed him and applied tilak on his forehead. Some devotees also believed that this day is celebrated when lord Yama, the God of death visited his sister Yami and she applied tilak on his forehead. She prepared delicious food for his brother and he got really impressed with her sister’s dedication. Lord Yama later promised to protect her and gave her a boon that every time a brother visits her sister on Bhaiyaa Dooj, he would be prospered with health and wealth.
Things you would need for puja
Red tilak, turmeric powder, rice, thali, sweets, clean white cloth,roli, mitti deepak and bronze pot filled with water.
- Sister prepares a thali by decorating it.
- Keep red tilak, paste of turmeric powder, rice and sweets in it.
- Light a diya in a plate, use a decorated diya for this purpose.
- Brother keeps any clean cloth on his head.
- Sister applies a red tilak on the brother’s forehead.
- She then applies rice and offers him his favourite sweets.
- She perform aarti of her brother.
- A water is kept on bronze pot and sister applies tilak to the pot.
- She takes some water on the leaf and sprinkle on brother.
- Brother have a meal prepared by the sister.
- Taking a holy dip in Yamuna river is considered really auspicious.
- Apply a tilak to your little nephews and nieces.
- Perform a puja to God Chandra if you don’t have a brother.
Chant this mantra while applying tilak to your brother Bhratus tabaa grajaataaham, Bhunksa bhaktamidam shuvam Preetaye yama raajasya Yamunaah Visheshatah.
भ्ृतूस तबा ग्रजाताहां, भुंकसा भक्तामीड़म शुवाँप्रीटाए यामा राजस्यYअमुनाह विशेषत
Shubh time and muhurat of Bhai Dooj
Bhai Dooj Tika Muhurat = 13:29 to 15:45
Duration = 2 Hours 15 Mins
Dwitiya Tithi Begins = 01:39 on 1/Nov/2016
Dwitiya Tithi Ends = 04:11 on 2/Nov/2016
If you have any doubt related to this puja, then you can get in touch with us or take help from pandits by our Book My Puja Online panel or call us at 9555966666.